Galveston College has announced spring 2021 distribution dates for its free drive-through Food for Thought mobile food markets for students.
Upcoming market dates are as follows:
- Wednesday, Feb. 24 (new date)
- Wednesday, March 3
- Wednesday, March 24
- Wednesday, April 7
- Wednesday, April 21
- Wednesday, May 5
All food distributions will take place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the college’s Charlie Thomas Family Applied Technology Center, 7626 Broadway Street.
Food for Thought is a partnership between Galveston College, the Galveston County Food Bank and the Houston Food Bank through its Food for Change food scholarship initiative.
The Food for Thought market gives all Galveston College students access to fresh produce, meats and other groceries on the Galveston College campus, enabling them to save money for other necessities and to maintain their focus on school.
Here are the steps to receive food:
- Bring client ID card or current student ID for the spring 2021 semester.
- Present ID through the window of automobile to receive food. (Windows must remain closed for the safety of the students and volunteers.)
- Open trunk of automobile so that volunteers may place box/bag of food inside.
- Drive off safely after receiving food.
- Currently enrolled students can obtain client ID cards in the Galveston College Counseling and Advising Center on the first floor of Moody Hall on the main campus or at the office at the Applied Technology Center. Students enroll online by visiting the Food for Change page on the Houston Food Bank website Food for Change.
Volunteers are needed to assist in packing/bagging food for distribution at the ATC. Please do not volunteer if exhibiting any of the following symptoms:
- difficulty breathing
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommendations regarding social distancing, masks/face coverings, gloves, hand washing and sanitation will be followed.
In addition to the distributions at Galveston College, students also can locate unrestricted Food for Change markets here or by using the Houston Food Bank Mobile App. Food for Change markets are labeled to help clients identify all markets available to all Food for Change recipients.
For more information and to volunteer to assist with the program, contact Jose Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org or (409) 944-1234.