Are you looking for a career where you can help others feel better by relieving their pain and stress? If so, the Galveston College Massage Therapy program may be right for you. This comprehensive program provides the education, skills and hands-on practical experience you need to pursue this rewarding career.
This three semester program features classroom instruction, hands-on training and client service internships. To help you transition from student to practitioner, you will complete an internship in which you work directly with clients to provide massages.
This program meets the requirements of individuals planning to take the MBLEX exam and State Jurisprudence Examination for state licensing put forth by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) and presents material in business practices and ethics, anatomy and physiology, health and hygiene, chair massage, pathology, hydrotherapy, kinesiology, history of massage, body mechanics, massage techniques and rehabilitative aspects of massage. Additionally, students will have a practice internship on proper massage protocol for various populations.
This program runs over three semesters and combines classroom lecture with a “hands-on” skills laboratory setting, including internship. It meets the criteria for a State Recognized Level One Certificate of Completion. Students who successfully complete the course should be prepared to take the (TDLR) exam for licensure as a massage therapist in the State of Texas. This program is eligible for TPEG funds and payment plans. This program is eligible for TPEG funds and payment plans.
- Black Scrubs
- Massage Table (2nd semester)
- Linens and massage oils
- MBLEX review guide (optional)
- Cost of the MBLEX Exam
- MSSG 1009 – Health and Hygiene
- MSSG 1011 – Fundamentals 1
- MSSG 2013 – Kinesiology
- MSSG 2014 – Pathology for Massage
- MSSG 1012 – Reflexology/Chair Massage
- MSSG 2011 – Fundamentals 2
- MSSG 1013 – A&P for Massage
- MSSG 1005 – Therapeutic Modalities/Hydro
- MSSG 1007 – Business Practices & Ethics
- MSSG 2086 – Internship June
- July internship and MBLEX review are optional
Download Healthcare Requirements Packet
For admission to the Massage Therapy Program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age with a High School diploma or GED.
- Be physically, emotionally, mentally, and financially able to complete the program.
- Complete the healthcare requirements and background check and HIPPA Training, prior to registration.
- Register for fall classes.
- Be available during summer hours to complete internship.
Registration for this program is recommended to be completed by August 1 of each year. Cohorts start each fall.
Ready to Register?
Registrations must be completed 2 week prior to classes starting. Students can register online, by email or in- person on the first floor of Moody Hall, M-142.CE REGISTER