Below are some Frequently Asked Questions from newly admitted students.
How do I log into my Whitecaps Portal?
The Whitecaps Portal can be accessed from any page on the Galveston College Website. It is located at the top of each page. In order to log in, you will need a username and password. Your username is GC plus your seven-digit student ID number and your initial password was sent to you in a separate email.
(See examples below).
Username: Your username is GC plus your seven-digit student ID number (EX: GC0123456)
Password: Your password is sent in an email from the IT Department
If you are experiencing issues logging into the Whitecaps Portal or having other technical difficulties please contact the IT helpdesk at email@example.com or call 409-944-1352.
How do I know if my application is processed?
Once your application is processed, you will receive an email from our office that will include your student ID number and follow up information. Please allow for 3-5 business days for online applications to be processed.
Do I need to take a placement test?
The State of Texas requires all students to be assessed in Mathematics, Reading, and Writing to determine course placement and eligibility. Some students may be exempt from taking the TSI assessment. If you do not have an exemption, you will need to take the TSI in order to place you into the correct courses.
- Scored a 23 or higher on the ACT composite and a minimum of 19 on both the English and math tests;
- SAT administered prior to March 2016: Earned a combined (verbal critical reading + math) SAT score of 1070, with a minimum score of 500 on both sections;
- SAT administered March 2016 and later: Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (EBRW) minimum score of 480, Mathematics minimum score of 530 (no combined score needed);
- TAKS scale score of at least 2200 on the math section and/or 2200 on the English Language Arts section with a writing subsection score of at least 3;
- Veterans, active duty personnel, and a student who is serving as and, for at least 3 years preceding enrollment, has served as a member of a reserve component of the U.S. armed services;
- Transfer from another institution having satisfactorily completed college-level coursework; or
- Enroll in a certificate program of one year or less (Level One certificates) at a public institution.
For a complete list of TSI exemptions, visit www.thecb.state.tx.us/TSI
How do I know if Galveston College has received my required documents?
Students have access to view received documents via their Whitecaps Portal. Follow the instructions below to view received and missing documents:
- Login into your portal
- Click Self-Service Menu (located on the right-hand side)
- Click Students
- Click Student Communication
- Click My Documents
How do I register online?
Students may register online if they are TSI complete by using the Whitecaps Portal. Detailed instructions for registering online are as follows:
- Log into the Whitecaps Portal.
- Under “Quick links”, please select Register for Classes.
- Select Search and Register for Classes.
- Select a term, enter as many search criteria as you wish, and click Submit.
- To add a class, click the Select Section(s)box next to the section you want to add and click Submit
- Select the appropriate action for each section and click Submit
- Review your registration results and click OK
Registration is not complete until payment arrangements are made.
When are you open?
Fall & Spring Semesters Office Hours
Monday & Tuesday: 8:00 a.m – 7:00 p.m
Wednesday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Summer I & II Semesters (May-August) Office Hours
Monday-Thursday: 7:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
QUESTIONS? Call 409-944-1230
Monday & Tuesday – 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday – 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Monday through Thursday – 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Friday – Closed