To Learn More:
Massage Therapy Program
This two semester intensive program features both classroom instruction and hands-on training. To help you transition from student to practitioner, you will complete an internship in which you work directly with clients to provide massages.
Upon successful completion you should be ready to take the State Massage Therapist Exam, to become licensed and to practice in the state of Texas. This program meets the requirements of individuals planning to take the MBLEX exam and State Jurisprudence Examination for state licensing put forth by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) and presents material in business practices and ethics, anatomy and physiology, health and hygiene, chair massage, pathology, hydrotherapy, kinesiology, history of massage, body mechanics, massage techniques and rehabilitative aspects of massage.
Additionally, students will have a practice internship on proper massage protocol for various populations
This 546-contact program runs over two semesters and combines classroom lecture with a “hands-on” skills laboratory setting, including 68 hours of internship. Students who successfully complete the course should be prepared to take the (TDLR) exam for licensure as a massage therapist in the State of Texas and are qualified to:
- Assess clients’ soft tissue condition, joint quality, and range
- Develop and propose specific treatment plans after consultation
- Use complementary treatments including infrared lamps, wet compresses, and whirlpool baths
- Prepare and blend oils for use in therapeutic massage
For admission to the Massage Therapy Program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Hold a valid CPR card
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Be physically, emotionally, mentally and financially able to complete the program
- Complete Program Application
- Furnish a valid Texas driver license or ID card
- Step 1: View following video Step 2: Read following reportStep 3: Complete and submit HIPAA Training agreement form
Texas Department of Public Safety (DSP) Background Check
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO STUDENTS
Additional supplies such as a massage table, sheets, towels, textbooks, massage oils and linens must be purchased separately.
Students must meet the healthcare program requirements listed on our application at least 2 weeks prior to class starting. This includes a criminal background check, as well as immunizations. Please be advised that depending on your record, a criminal conviction may prevent you from licensure by the State of Texas for this program.
If you have a question about your background and licensure, please speak with the program coordinator. You also have the right to request a criminal history evaluation letter from the applicable licensing agency.
Must register for all 3 classes – $1500
M, T, W, R – 5:30pm-10:00pm
MSSG 1011.1900 | Massage Fundamentals I
MSSG 1007.1900 | Massage: Business Practices & Professional Ethics
MSSG 1013.1900 | Massage: Anatomy & Physiology for Massage
Must register for all 4 classes – $1500
MSSG 1009 | Health & Hygiene
MSSG 1012 | Reflexology
MSSG 2011 | Fundamentals of Massage 2
MSSG 2007 | Internship (upon completion of coursework)
Additional Resources & Links
- If you have questions regarding your criminal record you may request an evaluation at https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/crimHistoryEval.htm
- Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) -Massage Therapy License Application Process
- TDLR Student Notification Form
- Federation of State Massage Therapy Board Massage and Bodyworks (FSMTB) Licensing Examination