Applying for Aid
Although financial aid can be completed at any time during an academic year, Galveston College’s PRIORITY DEADLINES are as follows:
Summer 2018 – March 30, 2018
Fall 2018 – June 8, 2018
Summer 2019 – November 9, 2018
ALL documents must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office to ensure that financial aid file is reviewed in time for the payment due date.
Before You Apply for Financial Aid You Must
- have a high school diploma or General Education Development (GED) Certificate, completed homeschooling, or meet the Ability- -To-Benefit (ATB) Alternatives
- be a U. S. Citizen, or and eligible non-citizen
- be pursuing an eligible degree or certificate program
- have a valid social security number
- be registered with the Selective Service, if required
- maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
- other criteria may apply
Once you have determined that ALL of the above criteria apply to you, you may begin the process of applying for financial aid. You must reapply for financial aid every academic year you plan to attend.
Step 1: Apply for Admissions to Galveston College
All new and returning students must have a current admissions application on file with the Admissions Office. New students must have their final official high school transcript, GED certificate, homeschooling record or ATB Alternative on file. Transfer students must have ALL FINAL OFFICIAL transcripts from any and all institutions of higher education on file with the Admissions Office.
Step 2: Apply for an FSA ID (a username and password)
Step 3: File Your Income Tax Return
To complete the FAFSA, students (and parents, if applicable) will need to have filed their tax return with the Internal Revenue Service. If you are not required to file, please continue to step 4. Please refer to the IRS Publication 501 for tax filing requirements.
Step 4: Complete the FAFSA
Complete the FAFSA via the web at www.fafsa.ed.gov as soon as possible after completing your tax returns. Make sure that you place Galveston College on your list of schools to receive your FAFSA. You may list up to 10 schools on your FAFSA. Galveston College’s federal school code is 004972. Process time for the application takes approximately 2 weeks. You will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR), via email, to review and make any necessary corrections. Utilizing the IRS Data Retrieval Tool is HIGHLY recommended.
Step 5: Review Your Student Aid Report (SAR)
If your SAR states that you have been selected for verification, submit the appropriate verification sheet (Dependent or Independent) along with a signed copy of your and/or spouse’s (if independent) latest federal tax return transcript from the IRS. If dependent, you must submit a signed copy of your parent(s) federal tax transcript from the IRS. If you (and parent or spouse, if applicable) utilized the IRS retrieval when completing your FAFSA, you do not need to submit your federal tax return transcript from the IRS.
Step 6: Additional Requirements
Common reasons that financial aid has not been disbursed to your account are:
- Master promissory note has not been completed and submitted for Direct and/or PLUS federal student loans.
- Entrance Counseling has not been completed and submitted for Federal Direct student loans.
- You are not maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
- You did not register for minimum required hours (i.e. enrollment must be at least half time – 6 credit hours to receive Federal Direct student loans).
How to Avoid Delays
- Use IRS Data Retrieval Tool when completing you FAFSA Application.
- Provide consistent information.
- Read all instructions.
- Use your legal name — not nicknames — and your correct social security number.
- If your parents are divorced, you must use the information for the parent you lived with most in the last 12 months. If that parent is remarried, you must also include the stepparent’s income. Be sure to provide the information requested about your parents.
- Make sure you include #004972 on your list of school codes.
- If you complete the FAFSA electronically, don’t forget to sign using your FSA ID (a username and password). You (the student) will need a FSA ID as well as your parent(s). These are two separate FSA IDs.
- Make a copy of your completed FAFSA and all documents submitted to the Financial Aid Office for your records.
- Respond to all requests from the Financial Aid Office as soon as possible.
Financial Aid Office
Traveling south on I-45
Take 61st Street exit and turn right at stop light. Travel approximately one mile to Seawall Blvd. Turn left on to Seawall. Proceed down Seawall to 39th Street. (Gaido's Restaurant is at corner of 39th and Seawall). Turn left on 39th and travel north to Avenue Q. Turn left at 39th and Avenue Q and proceed one block to Main Campus. Main Campus parking is available on Avenue Q, Avenue R and satellite parking at 39th and Avenue Q.
4015 Ave. Q
Galveston, TX 77550
7626 Broadway, Galveston, TX 77551
Traveling south on I-45
Take Exit 1B toward 71st St. Merge onto frontage road/Broadway St. and travel approximately five blocks to the first stop sign. At the stop sign, turn left onto 71st St. Take the first left onto frontage road/Broadway St and continue on the frontage road for approximately five blocks to the Applied Technology Center campus.
From GC Main Campus
Travel west on Avenue Q toward 45th St. Turn right at 45th St. and proceed to the stop light on Broadway. Turn left onto Broadway and travel approximately one mile. Continue onto I-45 North to Exit 1C. Take Exit 1C and merge onto the frontage road/Broadway St. The Applied Technology Center will be on the right.