2021-2022 Galveston College Emergency Scholarship
The purpose of the “Emergency Scholarship” is to provide monetary relief to students for unexpected circumstances that may significantly interfere with their ability to attend college. Funds are limited each semester and applications will be evaluated as they are received.
1. Students must be enrolled at Galveston College for a minimum of six (6) credit hours in the fall or spring, three (3) credit in the summer for the purpose of obtaining a degree or certificate including preprograms offered by the school.
2. Students are required to have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 to apply for assistance, with the exception of first time students and students who are taking only developmental education courses.
3. Students may apply for assistance consideration no more than once per academic year.
4. The maximum award a student may receive per year is $1,200.
5. Students are not to contact taskforce members directly to discuss the status of their application. Doing so may result in denial of assistance.
Student must complete the following to apply for a Galveston College Emergency Scholarship:
1. Complete the Galveston College Emergency Scholarship application
2. Type a detailed letter explaining the nature of the emergency situation and what steps have been taken to resolve it. The letter should include an explanation of how the emergency can be avoided in the future.
3. Attach all supporting documentation (i.e., car repair estimates, medical expense, etc.) related to the request. Documentation must be in the student’s name.
NOTE: Incomplete requests will not be reviewed by the committee.
Review/Award Process: The request for emergency assistance will be reviewed and a final decision made by the Emergency Scholarship Taskforce. A decision may take up to 5 business days from the date the student submits their request. The Financial Aid Office will notify the student of the Taskforce’s decision. If an award is made, arrangements for disbursement of funds will be communicated with the notification.
Complete the Galveston College Emergency Scholarship application
Question and Answers – Galveston College Emergency Scholarship
1. Can I apply every semester?
The Galveston College Emergency Scholarship can only be received once an academic year
(Fall, Spring Summer 1 or Summer 2).
2. What is the maximum I can apply for?
With the supporting documentation, the maximum amount that can be received is $1200.00.
3. Do I need documentation and a letter?
A detailed letter explaining the emergency situation is required along with the supporting documentation (i.e. electric bill, care repair quote, eviction notice, etc.).