Financial Aid – FAQ


Below are answers to Financial Aid’s most commonly asked questions.

What is Galveston College School Code?

The school code is 004972.

Do I have to reapply for financial aid every year?

Yes. You are required to reapply for financial aid every year if you want to be considered for federal or state aid which includes grants, loans, and work-study. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available October 1st for students/parents to complete.

I have received an outside scholarship. Should I report it to the Financial Aid Office?

Yes. If you are receiving any kind of outside scholarship from any agency, you must notify the Financial Aid Office. You can have the agency mail the checks to the Financial Aid Office. Please make sure that your name and GC ID Number is on the check.

NOTE: The Financial Aid Office may adjust your financial aid package as needed to prevent an over award. In most cases, outside scholarships are used to replace loans instead of grants.

Will my eligibility for financial aid change if I change my enrollment status?

Yes. If you change the number of credit hours for which you are enrolled, your eligibility could change. You should contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss how it may affect your eligibility for financial aid.

What is the difference between disbursement date and refund date?

Disbursement date is the date when funds are expected to be posted to a student’s account to cover tuition, fees, and books. The refund date is the date the refund checks are mailed to students.

NOTE: Please make sure that your address is up to date with the Admissions and Registrar’s Office.

What is a "Census Date"?

The Financial Aid census date is the date that a student’s enrollment is considered “locked” by the Financial Aid Office. The census date enables the Financial Aid Office to correctly make a calculation to a student’s financial aid, especially their Pell Grant award.

What is the difference between the Financial Aid Office and the Business Office?

The two offices have separate administrative functions. The Financial Aid Office determines eligibility for grants, scholarships, loans, work-study, and other financial aid and college financing programs. The Business Office is responsible for all billing, collecting of applicable charges, and issuing student’s refund checks and 1098-T Forms.

I am enrolled in 15 credits, of which 6 credits are not required for my degree program. Will my financial aid disburse?

Yes, but your financial aid will be adjusted to only pay for 9 credits for which you are eligible, and that that go toward your degree program.

NOTE: If you have a financial aid refund, you can authorize this refund to pay for the 6 credits that are not required for your degree.

In Person

Financial Aid Office