The Galveston Community College District Board of Regents on Wednesday, Feb. 20, formed a nominating committee to make recommendations to the board to fill the unexpired term of longtime Regent Florentino “Tino” Gonzalez, who died Jan. 22 following a courageous battle with brain cancer.
Nominating committee members include Regent Raymond Lewis, Jr., chair, Regent Carl E. Kelly and Regent Carroll G. Sunseri.
The college will accept letters of interest and nominations for Position 1 for two weeks, beginning today, Feb. 21, and ending on Thursday, March 7. Letters of interest and nominations should be submitted to the Office of President prior to the deadline. Following a review of the letters of interest and nomination, the nominating committee will select a small group of candidates for public interviews and further consideration by the full board.
In other business, Board of Regents Chair Karen F. Flowers appointed Regent Sunseri to fill the vacancy on the board facilities committee created by Regent Gonzalez’s passing.
The board also approved an associate of applied science in law enforcement to begin in fall 2019.
Dr. Cissy Matthews, vice president for instruction, said the degree gives students who have graduated with their law enforcement certificate an opportunity to continue their education on to an associate degree.
“The associate degree leads to potential higher pay and better advancement opportunities for law enforcement professionals in the region,” she said.
In other action, the board
- approved a resolution honoring the service of Regent Gonzalez to Galveston College.
- approved a committee of the whole recommendation regarding architectural/engineer design services for renovations to the Student Services area of the main campus, authorizing President Dr. Myles Shelton to negotiate a contract with PBK Architects, Inc. of Houston.
- approved a proposal from Ellucian Company, LP for a student services software system that will improve student advising and aid in retention.
- approved a bid for generator and installation for the Information Technology server room from Crescent Electric Company of La Marque.
- approved a bid from EMR Elevator Inc. of Arlington for elevator repairs.
- approved primary annual service contracts with J.T. Vaughn Construction, LLC of Galveston, Crescent Electric Company of La Marque and Wade Bailey Plumbing Co. Inc. of Galveston.
- adopted a resolution regarding tax assessment and collection services provided by the Galveston County Tax Office.
- engaged the auditing services of Carr, Riggs & Ingram, LLC of Houston.
- conducted an annual review of investment firms, and reviewed and affirmed the college’s investment policy and strategy.
- approved a maintenance uniform rental service agreement with Cintas Corporation.