Registration is now open for Galveston College’s free Quickstart+ training programs in Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) and Electrical Technology, beginning Feb. 1.
Funded with a Foundational Skills for Construction Career Pathways Grant, the Quickstart+ programs are designed to help individuals find entry-level jobs in the fast-growing HVAC and electrical industries.
In the eight-week programs, students will be presented with the basics of a trade, including safety procedures, proper tool usage, regulations, codes and more. They also will receive career counseling and job placement assistance.
Tuition is free for those accepted into the programs. However, students must purchase their own steel-toed boots and personal protective equipment.
An individual applying to a Quickstart+ program must
- be age 18 or older. (Proof of age is required such as driver’s license or birth certificate.)
- be a United States citizen or certified to work in the United States. (A Social Security card or original I-9 documentation is required.)
- meet United States military Selective Service registration requirements, if male. (Student must present Registration Acknowledgment Card at the time of enrollment.)
- have a working computer and internet access.
- have steel-toed boots and personal protective equipment (mask or face covering).
Following acceptance into the program, the applicant must meet with the job placement navigator and bring required documents. For more information, please visit https://gc.edu/continuing-education/quickstartplus/ and contact Quickstart+ Navigator Sharon Pagan at (409) 944-1410 or firstname.lastname@example.org.