The Galveston College Student Government Association celebrated its incoming and outgoing officers at an induction ceremony April 19 in the Fine Arts Building.
Samuel Uhlman of Galveston was inducted 2018-19 president. Also recognized were incoming officers Ivan Escalante of La Marque, vice president; McKenzie Holmes of Dallas, secretary; and Maura Williams of Galveston, treasurer.
Outgoing officers recognized during the evening were Crystal Cruz of Galveston, president; Benjamin Russell of Galveston, vice president; Jasmine Pizano of Galveston, secretary; Kayla DeLeon of Galveston, treasurer; and Maurissa Pena of La Marque, historian. Pena will continue her role as historian in 2018-19.
President Cruz noted a number of SGA accomplishments during the 2017-18 academic year, including:
- hosting the Fall Festival and Spring Fling;
- co-hosting the Texas House of Representatives District 23 Candidate Forum with the Faculty Senate and Political Science Club;
- co-hosting the Galveston Community College District Board of Regents Position 7 Candidate Forum;
- monthly presentations at the Galveston Community College District Board of Regents meetings;
- participation with a specially designed float in two Mardi Gras parades; and
- attending the Sam Houston State University Diversity Leadership Conference with other student organization leaders.
Guest speaker Priscilla Culver, dual credit adviser and adjunct faculty member in psychology, shared her inspirational story and encouraged the students to pursue and achieve their dreams, to continue building their networks and to take a genuine interest in mentoring others.
The students recognized a number of individuals, including Student Activities Coordinator and SGA Adviser Cynthia Parra, Acting Vice President for Student Affairs Ron Crumedy, Developmental Mathematics Instructor/Program Coordinator Rodrigo Santoya and Developmental Education Student Success Adviser Elvia Bytautas.