Are you ready to advance your career in the healthcare field? Are you seeking leadership positions in a hospital, clinic, or managed care organization? Are you wanting to earn your bachelor’s degree in an environment that fits your busy schedule? Sounds like the Bachelor of Applied Science in Healthcare Management (BAS-HCM) at Galveston College was designed for you.
The Healthcare Management program allows you to take eight-week courses that are offered via distance education and via Zoom each semester.
To be considered for the program, you must complete both the Program Application and the Galveston College Admissions Application.
According to the Texas Association of Counties, healthcare and social assistance is the second largest section of employers in Galveston County, just behind the accommodation and food services sector.
There were 589 businesses employing almost 15,000 employees in the healthcare sector in 2015. On Galveston Island specifically, the University of Texas Medical Branch is the largest employer with approximately 9,000 employees. With healthcare being such an important part of the economy of Galveston Island and beyond, it is important that Galveston College offers the necessary programs to support the community’s needs
The upper-level courses in this program will be delivered primarily via distance education along with one hybrid course each term. Courses are eight weeks in length and you must be enrolled as a full-time student to enter into the degree program.
You will have two courses each eight-week term.
Students will need to complete an application to Galveston College and submit an application to the BAS-HCM degree Program Director. Please complete the program application to the Bachelors of Applied Science in Healthcare Management. Answers to all items are required. If it does not pertain to you, simply put NA for the response. You will need the following items to complete your application.
- Your resume, include (at a minimum) your contact information, work experience, and education. Please keep the length of the resume at a single page.
- In an essay of 300 to 400 words, please explain your interest in the program for which you are applying, what you hope to achieve by completing the program and how your personal or professional background relates to your interests and goals. The essay’s content and the clarity of writing will be assessed as part of the admission process.
- A copy of your unofficial transcript will be accepted during the application process, official transcripts must be received prior to full admission into the program.
Your application will be ready for review once you have submitted your application to Galveston College, the BAS-HCM degree program application, your transcripts (official or unofficial), an essay, and your resume. Please upload them in PDF format.
|ACCT||2301||Principles of Financial Accounting||3|
|HITT||1345||Healthcare Delivery Systems||3|
|HITT||1353||Legal and Ethical Aspects of Health Information||3|
|MHSM||3304||Communications for Health Care Professionals||3|
|MHSM||3310||Legal Issues in Health Care||3|
|MHSM||3358||Healthcare Revenue Integrity Practices||3|
|MHSM||3421||Health Information Technology and Standards ***||4|
|MHSM||3303||Statistics for Health Care Managers||3|
|MHSM||3335||Financial Management for Health Professions||3|
|MHSM||4304||Risk Management for Health Professionals||3|
|MHSM||4348||Ethics for Health Care Professionals||3|
|MHSM||4310||Human Resources in Health Care Management||3|
|MHSM||4351||Public and Community Health Management||3|
|MHSM||4352||Project Management for Healthcare Finance||3|
|MHSM||4353||Healthcare Operations Management||3|
|MHSM||4354||Strategic Planning and Leadership in Healthcare||3|
|MHSM||4551||Health Care Management Practicum/Residency||5|
|Lower Level Courses|
|Technical Special Courses (Transfer from AAS)||24|
|Totals for BAS – HCM Degree||120|
* – Prerequisite coursework may be completed in the first year with Program Director Approval
** – Students do not have to have completed all of the core curricula prior to enrolling in upper-level courses.
*** Hybrid Course
Admissions Criteria: Students must complete the admissions requirements to the College. Admissions to Galveston College does not guarantee admission to the BAS-HCM program.
The admissions requirements specific for the BAS in Healthcare Management program are as follows:
- Demonstrate college–readiness in reading, writing and math through the approved means including previous coursework, Texas Success Initiative Assessment (TSI-A), ACT or SAT scores.
- An earned Associate of Applied Science in a healthcare related field such as EMS,
Health Information Managements, Medical Administration, Medical Assistant, Nuclear
Medicine, Nursing, Radiation Therapy, Radiography, Surgical Technology, and Sonography.
Additional healthcare degrees may be approved on a case-by-case basis.
- The AAS degree must be issued from an institution that is regionally accredited by an agency that is recognized by Galveston College.
- Prior college-level coursework must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 or provide evident of extenuating circumstances, to the Program Director or the Vice President of Instruction, for waiver of this requirement.
The 42 credit hour core curriculum component of this degree can be satisfied with any of the courses list in Galveston College’s core curriculum in the current catalog. Students may satisfy the core curriculum with additional courses taken at another institution as long as their transcript shows them core complete in each component area.
The BAS in Healthcare Management degree is 120 semester credit hours and includes 42 hours of core curriculum courses, 9 hours of other prerequisites, 24 hours of technical specialty courses (from the AAS degree) and 45 hours of upper level healthcare management (MHSM) courses.
Minimum Completion Requirements include
- Complete the appropriate course of study for a BAS in Healthcare Management degree as specified in the College Catalog. Developmental or other non-credit coursework does not apply to graduation requirements.
- Complete all core curriculum requirements
- Galveston College will accept a maximum for 75 hours of applicable course work transferred from another accredited college or university toward the BAS in Healthcare Management degree. Students must earn at least 45 credit hours (or 37.5%) at Galveston College.
- Complete at least 45 credit hours in 3000 level courses or higher.
Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 on all work completed at Galveston College
$99,730 per year
Less than 5 years
20% (Much faster than average)
- Health and social services manager
- Office manager
- Practice administrator
- Nursing home administrators
- Health information managers
According to data from the Texas Workforce Commission’s Labor Market Information, there will be an average of 275 openings each year in the Gulf Coast Workforce Area for healthcare managers. That represents a 32% increase from 2014 to 2024. State-wide predictions are there will be 1,070 annual job openings which is a 29% increase from 2014 to 2024. All of these positions will require a minimum of a bachelor’s degree.
Career Coach is a FREE online tool designed to help you find a great career by providing the most current local data on wages, employment, job postings, and associated education and training.
Through a simple keyword search, you can learn about the employment prospects of differing careers. The real-time information is customized to the College’s geographic region and includes detailed wage estimates and up-to-date job postings associated with any career. Users are directed to the College’s programs when searching for specific jobs.
Career Coach also includes a built-in resume builder to help students and jobseekers quickly put together an updated resume with key skills and previous job experiences.