Frequently Asked Questions
Click each question below for an answer. If your question is not listed or you need assistance, please contact us.
The Whitecaps Portal can be accessed from any page on the Galveston College Website. It is located at the top nagivation menu of each page in the Whitecaps Toolbox. In order to log in, you will need a username and password. Your username is student's email@example.com or GC plus your seven-digit student ID number followed by @whitecaps.gc.edu and your initial password was sent to you in a separate email.
Note - You may also use your assigned Whitecaps email address as your username.
(See examples below).
Students can login with either their email address. (ex. firstname.lastname@example.org or using their student id (ex. GC0123456@whitecaps.gc.edu).
Please use the latest version of the following browsers:
Chrome, Firefox, or Microsoft Edge.
Password: Your password is sent in an email from the IT Department
If you are experiencing issues logging into the Whitecaps Portal or having other technical difficulties please contact the IT helpdesk at email@example.com or call 409-944-1352.
Once your application is processed, you will receive an email from our office that will include your student ID number and follow up information. Please allow extra time during peak periods (beginning of term, end of term, general registration) for applications to be processed.
The State of Texas requires all students to be assessed in Mathematics, Reading, and Writing to determine course placement and eligibility. Some students may be exempt from taking the TSI (Texas Success Initiative) 2.0 assessment. If you do not have an exemption, you will need to take the TSI 2.0 in order to determine course placement.
- Scored a 23 or higher on the ACT composite and a minimum of 19 on both the English and math tests;
- SAT administered prior to March 2016: Earned a combined (verbal critical reading + math) SAT score of 1070, with a minimum score of 500 on both sections;
- SAT administered March 2016 and later: Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (EBRW) minimum score of 480, Mathematics minimum score of 530 (no combined score needed);
- TAKS scale score of at least 2200 on the math section and/or 2200 on the English Language Arts section with a writing subsection score of at least 3;
- Veterans, active duty personnel, and a student who is serving as and, for at least 3 years preceding enrollment, has served as a member of a reserve component of the U.S. armed services;
- Transfer from another institution having satisfactorily completed college-level coursework; or
- Enroll in a certificate program of one year or less (Level One certificates) at a public institution.
For a complete list of TSI exemptions, visit www.thecb.state.tx.us/TSI
Students have access to view received documents via myGC in the Whitecaps Portal. Follow the instructions below to view received and missing documents:
- Login into your portal
- Click myGC
- View the Documents Required area in the Notifications Section at the top of the page
Students may register online if they are TSI complete by using the Whitecaps Portal. Detailed instructions for registering online are as follows:
- Log into the Whitecaps Portal
- Click myGC
- Select Student Planning and Registration
- Review your degree progress and plan any courses on your degree plan in the Plan and Schedule area
- Once registration is open for a future term, click the Plan and Schedule link
- Search for and plan specific course sections
- Once all planned sections are selected, click the Register Now button
Registration is not complete until payment arrangements are made
Fall & Spring Semesters Office Hours
Monday & Tuesday: 8:00 a.m – 7:00 p.m
Wednesday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Summer I & II Semesters (May-August) Office Hours
Monday-Thursday: 7:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.