Galveston College Vision, Mission and Goals
Galveston College Vision
Galveston College: A beacon of light guiding life-long learning.
Galveston College Mission
Galveston College, an innovative public post-secondary institution dedicated to student success, teaching, and learning, creates accessible learning opportunities to fulfill individual and community needs by providing high-quality educational programs and services.
The College District shall:
- Access: Improve access to quality education by being a student-ready college that focuses on connection and entry processes and excellent programs that serve a diverse student population.
- Student Success: Advance student success outcomes, consistent with students’ intentions, by working to eliminate barriers, to close achievement gaps and to provide high-quality, learner-centered educational and support service programs.
- Employee Success: Continue to invest in and support a high-quality and diverse faculty and staff that are focused on student success, a culture of excellence, and advancing the College’s mission and goals.
- Institutional Resources: Ensure the College has the financial, physical, and technological resources needed to enhance effective and efficient operations; create inviting, safe and supportive environments; and provide for future expansion.
The purposes of Galveston College are defined in the Texas Education Code, Section 130.003, and shall be to provide:
(1) technical programs up to two years in length leading to associate degrees or certificates;
(2) occupational programs leading directly to employment in semi-skilled and skilled occupations;
(3) freshman and sophomore courses in arts and sciences;
(4) continuing adult education programs for occupational or cultural upgrading;
(5) compensatory education programs designed to fulfill the commitment of an admissions policy allowing the enrollment of disadvantaged students;
(6) a continuing program of counseling and guidance designed to assist students in achieving their individual educational goals;
(7) workforce development programs designed to meet local and statewide needs;
(8) adult literacy programs and other basic skills programs for adults; and, 2
(9) such other purposes as may be prescribed by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board or the Galveston College Board of Regents, in the best interest of post-secondary education in Texas.
Galveston College exists to serve these purposes as they relate first to the local service areas, then to the State of Texas, and finally, to the nation. Further, Galveston College accepts the challenge of providing the resources, curricula, instructional support, and personnel required to best serve the many educational needs of its students.
The Board of Regents has developed a list of seven values that are an integral part of the College Mission and Vision. The values reinforce the Board’s desire to provide ethical leadership and are used in making decisions undertaken by the college community as the Mission is operationalized. From the development of strategic goals to the simplest actions and decisions taken by college staff, these values will manifest themselves.
- ACCESS — Provide an open door to learning while extending accessible education opportunities to qualified students who can benefit from instruction.
- STUDENT SUCCESS — Provide high-quality, learning-centered programs and services that focus on achieving student success.
- INTEGRITY — Foster a culture of trust, honesty, openness, and fairness, while upholding high ethical standards.
- RESPECT — Foster an environment that seeks to understand and values the importance and contributions of each individual.
- DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION — Foster a culture that affirms and empowers all members of the College community, recognizes that not everyone starts from the same place, where we value, celebrate, and learn from our differences, and all people are treated with respect and dignity.
- CULTURE OF EXCELLENCE — Promote a culture that pursues excellence and supports new ideas and creative endeavors that advance the mission and purposes of the College.
- STEWARDSHIP — Ensure responsible and ethical accountability for the resources entrusted to the College so as to provide the necessary support to foster teaching and learning for today and tomorrow.